Sunday 3 May 2015

Kaukjärven Kierros 28K in Tammela, Finland


Tammela is a little village around 120km North-West from Helsinki. For the second time I had a pleasure to participate there in Kaukjärven Kierros, 14 and 28km running competition. Every year on the first Sunday of May the event is held in the charming surroundings of the lake Kaukjärvi. The course is a 14km lap around the lake and 28km is double the distance.
Tammela sport centre this morning
As always, I chose a longer distance. I wanted to make it a hard training before the Tuusulanjärven Marathon, which I’m running in 3 weeks. I had a goal to keep the hard pace as long as I could stand it in my head and in my legs. Did I succeed? Yes, a sort of! Last year I had a better time though, which gave me the third place in the race. This time I was fourth, but still extremely proud of myself. I push my running abilities to the very limits and it didn’t break my spirit at all. After the first lap, at the 14km, I was so tired already, that I could hardly imagine how could I make it to the end now. But somehow I survived! It was hard as hell though and my average heart rate was 186! All in all, I stayed focused  and didn't give up, cheering myself up by thoughts about my 7 year old daughter, who never gives up riding her little bike almost every day and my brave Mom, who at the age of 55 run almost 90km in Polish mountains this weekend - amazing!
Vege Athlete Agata ready for the race
The course itself wasn’t easy either. Major part of it goes along sand and stone routes, there are also some kilometres of forest trails, not to forget about lots of bigger and smaller hills. The views are very nice: Finnish countryside pictures, forest paths, the Kaukjärvi lake. But what I love the most is the very atmosphere of the event! 
The final uphill on the 14km course
It’s quite a small competition and very nicely organised: there are changing room and shower facilities for the runners in the Tammela’s sport centre with a little café opened during the event, 2 drink stations with water and sport drinks along the 14km route with the extra one at the finish line, very supporting organizational team, cheering up the runners all the time, as a souvenir runners get a little statuette and all ladies receive a beautiful rose at the finish line. So sweet, isn’t it? I just want to return there every year and I also recommend you visiting this charming place too! So see you in 2016, Tammela! Next year I’m gonna rock the distance again with even better result!

Thank you, Tammela! See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment